The Writer and Life

Sunday, July 16, 2006

The Manuscript

Manuscript
Current mood: crazy


Tonight I dropped my manuscript. I know it sounds like such a simple thing. Pick it up, you might be thinking. Just pick it up...

But you don't understand it wasn't numbered. It wasn't numbered and I dropped it, all 243 pages of it...1.5 spacing.

I guess I could have just scooped it up and tried to get it back in order or even just started from the first page I found, but it was just too ... like wow.

So I gathered up my pages and sat them there next to my computer, I ate another of my apple slices that I had soaking in a good Firestone Riesling (who am I kidding, it was a Riesling but I picked it up from WINCO) anyway, I ate the apple slowly hoping for something... a buzz, a euphoria, a deep reasoning on WHY this horrible thing happened. Why this major set back. I mean, my night was going so well.

I had done all my laundry and even cooked dinner all before 8...I had well, apples, and Riesling for dinner (just kidding) I had ummmmm, oh heck I can't remember anyway, it was tasty enough and well, I settled into some writing, well, editing....

I hate editing. Let's get that straight so no, anything that upsets or otherwise interferes with the FLOW and GO of the process makes me like, I'm done!

Okay so, now I’m starting at page… who knows, wondering where and how to go on, to move forward!

And boy, are these apples good.

Should I just leave it as is and send it to my editor and say…sorry, I dropped it? Or maybe I should just reprint the WHOLE thing out again… with numbers this time… what a concept.


10:51 PM - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove



Saturday, January 14, 2006

Truth or Fiction... which is easier to write


I write fiction because the more I thought about TRUTH in literature, aside from the BIBLE who really knows what the truth is. I mean, unless it comes directly from GOD I don’t believe anyone really knows the way it truly was. When I did that western with TL Gardner, The Legend of Morning, we did….well let me not lie (see what I mean, I was about to start talking FICTION right there) when TL did the research on the Seminole Indians in l860-l890 we were trying our best to find in the history of man where the Indians won! Being Native American, I know they did…okay, but I was trying to write the ‘truth’ according to history. It was very difficult and all I was able to even want to use was the research done on their costumes (I mean, uniforms). We decided we would write our own brand of history and even add alittle more…thus our non-fictionally based historical romance became a SCI FI WESTERN…

So now when I read about dude who told his OWN life story and is being accused of lying, I’m like DANG, who can tell you that your OWN life is a lie…I mean, realllllly how do they KNOW?

My life has been stranger than fiction on many occasions and I know looking at this middle aged grandma, you’d be surprised at some of the things I’ve done and places I’ve been…and more so people I’ve met! SO I stick with Fiction… and let folks GUESS if any of it’s based on true life.

It’s certainly cheaper then getting sued for writing your own life and being accused of lying about it! I’d rather someone else say, HEY that’s about me and me point to my disclaimer and smile wickedly “Nah... it’s just a coincidence.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home